Division: Nursing, Health and Wellness
Division Chair: Kathleen Hopkins, email@example.com
Department Chair: Patricia Zodda, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Support Staff:
Department Office: Fieldhouse, Room 5121, Phone: 845-574-4451
Why Study Fitness Specialist?
Students who successfully complete the program are prepared to take national certification exams to become a personal trainer. Being trained in wellness and physical fitness can prepare you for an important role in helping to resolve some of the current health challenges facing our nation. By teaching others how to develop and maintain healthy levels of fitness and exercise you will be helping them to lower their risk of developing diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Studies also show a correlation between maintaining healthy levels of physical activity and good mental health.
Related disciplines include Human Performance Studies and Exercise and Human Performance.
The Fitness Specialist certificate is for students with or without previous educational experience. Upon completion of the certificate students will be prepared for a career in private, public, or corporate fitness centers as fitness trainers, directors and managers.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Fitness Specialist at RCC:
- VALUE: Affordable tuition for a high-quality education. Financial Aid available.
- SUPPORT: Dedicated faculty. Small class sizes allow more individual attention. Free tutoring.
- CAREER: This certificate serves as a foundation in multiple recreation and wellness fields.
- FLEXIBLE: Many courses are offered days or evenings. Childcare on campus.
- FACULTY: Learn from instructors who offer combined practical work experience with advanced academic degrees.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
Students will become educated in workout development, fitness counseling, nutrition and exercise science as well as gaining valuable hands-on experience by participating in an internship. Our 90,000-square-foot Fieldhouse includes a fitness center, basketball courts, human performance lab, racquetball courts and a half-Olympic-size swimming pool. There are 11 competitive sports teams at RCC, with golf, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis and bowling for men and soccer, basketball, volleyball, bowling and tennis for women.
The certificate will provide students the opportunity to start a new career or as a springboard toward a degree in the fitness industry. The program will provide students with an effective and dynamic education that focuses on resistance training, exercise science, fitness counseling exercise program design, nutrition, communication skills and management.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper program design for a variety of individuals seeking an exercise program
- Develop a variety of skills related to learning core concepts in resistance training
- Evaluate the health and fitness status of prospective clients seeking a personal trainer
- Demonstrate proper communication skills when dealing with clients
- Understand how nutrition has an impact on exercise performance
- Integrate management skills into training sessions