Division: Business and Professional Studies
Division Chair: George Repic, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Chair: TBA
Department Support Staff: Diane Mena, email@example.com
Department Office: Academic II, Room 2350, Phone: 845-574-4330
Why Study Bookkeeping?
The Bookkeeping Certificate is for students who want to acquire the skills necessary toward obtaining employment as an entry-level bookkeeper or office employee.
Related disciplines include Business Administration.
The certificate is for students with or without previous educational experience. Upon completion of the certificate students will be prepared for entry-level employment in companies of all sizes, both public and private, in virtually all industry sectors. Students may find employment in a variety of areas including accounts payable/receivable, payroll and bookkeeping.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010-2011, the opportunities for employment in the fields of bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks are projected to grow by 12 percent between 2006-2016.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Bookkeeping at RCC:
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid and scholarships.
- CONVENIENCE: Courses are offered in classroom, online or hybrid format.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time study can accommodate work, family or other time commitments. On campus childcare available.
- CAREER: Internships provide real-world experience.
- SUPPORT: Small class sizes, more individual attention, free tutoring.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
There are more than 40 student clubs with special interest and socializing opportunities. Activities include sports, student government, and clubs like Robotics, Video Game & Anime, Chess, Computers, Art, Christian Fellowship, Environment, Haitian, Habitat for Humanity, Hillel, and Outlook, the award-winning student newspaper.
The certificate provides students the opportunity to start a new career or springboard to a degree in accounting. The program instills an appreciation and awareness of the racial, ethnic and gender issues in today’s business world; enhance the student’s personal and professional development; and encourage active informed citizenship and leadership.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Develop and maintain financial accounting statements and records
- Understand and become proficient in accounting software
- Demonstrate proficiency using current software programs
- Demonstrate competency in written and oral communications