Green Building Maintenance and Management
Associate of Applied Science
Division: STEM and Health Professions
Division Chair: Kathleen Hopkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Co-Chairs: Adessa Butler, email@example.com & Melanie Rie, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Coordinator: Katherine Copp Brown, email@example.com
Department Support Staff: Susan Kapral, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Office: Academic I, Room 1101, Phone: 845-574-4203
Why Study Green Building Maintenance and Management?
Green construction is the practice of building energy efficiency into new construction through design and new technologies. As interest in energy efficiency for cost and environmental effectiveness grows, many municipalities now require commercial buildings to conform to green construction standards. There is a corresponding increased demand for people who have the skills to manage and maintain these energy efficient systems. An AAS degree in Green Building Maintenance and Management prepares students to efficiently and effectively maintain modern commercial buildings.
Related disciplines include Environmental Science and Science.
The AAS degree in Green Building Maintenance and Management prepares graduates for positions in energy and/or environmental sustainability. Students who complete the program can obtain positions as energy and indoor air quality auditors, HVAC operations and maintenance technicians, solar and wind energy technicians, and consultants in green building, renewable energy and energy efficiency.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Green Building Maintenance and Management at RCC:
- SUSTAINABLE FUTURE: Do substantive work in a field that understands and respects the interconnectedness of the ecosystem.
- SUPPORT: Dedicated faculty. Small class sizes allow more individual attention. Free tutoring.
- VALUE: Affordable tuition for a high-quality education. Scholarships are also available.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time and distance learning can accommodate work, family or other time commitments. On campus childcare available.
- CAREER: Career Services provides personal assistance in finding jobs both off and on campus.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
RCC, winner of the Rockland Business Association’s Green Council Award, is recognized for its comprehensive sustainability efforts, including reducing waste and saving water, electricity, paper and money. Students experience green building firsthand at the Technology Center, the first certified “green” building constructed in Rockland County. RCC student clubs include the Organic Gardening Club, Environmental Club, and the activist Mug Action group. RCC students have designed creative recycling programs, raised awareness and funds to provide clean water to communities in need, and participated in global conferences on ecology and sustainability, including the Clinton Global Initiative.
The degree provides a broad education that prepares students to understand the theories that support Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification and sustainability. Students will develop the knowledge, experience and critical decision-making skills necessary to maintain and manage building systems, energy systems, building environments and water systems as they relate to commercial buildings.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Show effective decision-making skills about the management and maintenance of building systems
- Maintain both conventional and green building technologies and systems that are used to produce energy, heat, light, and ventilation as well as those that consume energy
- Calculate energy efficiency and recommended changes for better outcomes
- Illustrate the ability to manage projects, including communication with the building owners, utilities, planners and contractors to assure effective building maintenance and management