Division: Business, Social and Behavioral Science, and Professional/Public Service
Division Chair: Kristie deRuiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Chair: Wendy Gordon, email@example.com
Department Support Staff: Jeremy Cordock, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Office: Technology Center, Room 8320, Phone: 845-574-4705
Why Study Culinary Arts?
Join an exciting, creative and growing career field by enrolling in this 30-credit certificate program. The degree can be completed in two semesters and is designed for those seeking quick entry or advancement in their culinary arts career. This comprehensive program is recommended for people who enjoy and want to learn more about food, cooking, and providing quality customer service.
Related disciplines include Hospitality and Tourism.
Upon completing the certificate program, students will be prepared for entry-level positions in restaurants, catering companies and fast food or institutional food service settings. For those currently employed in the industry and seeking advancement, the certificate can help expand and upgrade culinary arts skills.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
5 Top Reasons
To Study Culinary Arts at RCC:
- TRANSFER: Graduates have transferred to the Culinary Institute of America, the French Culinary Institute, the Art Institute of New York, Cornell University, Johnson and Wales, NYU, Fairleigh Dickinson, and others.
- CAREER: A variety of job placement opportunities in the Hudson Valley Region after completion of this certificate program.
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid, scholarships.
- OPPORTUNITIES: Study abroad.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time and online study can accommodate work, family, or other time commitments. On-campus childcare available.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
Culinary courses offer hands-on experience featuring restaurant-quality equipment in RCC’s state-of-the-art kitchen lab. More than 40 student clubs including a Hospitality Club enrich RCC’s campus life. Activities offer many opportunities for socializing, learning and networking. Hospitality Club members participate in community service activities and creative catering for special campus events. RCC’s Career Services programs help students with résumé writing, interviewing skills, and job and career strategies
The degree provides students with a broad-based knowledge of course work needed for a career in the hospitality and tourism industry. Students will take several required courses in hospitality but will then have the option to focus their education on either hospitality or travel and tourism.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the hands-on skills required in the culinary industry
- Develop and demonstrate the ability to plan and implement numerous culinary functions
- Develop research skills used in the culinary arts industry
- Develop an understanding of the equipment used in the field of culinary arts
- Develop reasoning and problem solving skills