Computer Information Systems/Computer Support
Associate of Science
Division: STEM and Health Professions
Division Chair: Kathleen Hopkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Chair: Jeanette Geller, email@example.com
Department Support Staff: TBA
Department Office: Technology Center, Room 8307, Phone: 845-574-4577
Why Study Computer Information Systems/Computer Support?
The need for innovative programmers and developers to design and build increasingly sophisticated and capable computer information systems continues to grow. For those who enjoy challenge, logic, systems, and technology, the field offers rewarding careers for developer who incubate software programs and programmers who create the instructions (code). The AS degree in Computer Information Systems is designed for students who want to work in the field of computer programming or program development. Students who complete the degree will be prepared to transfer to a four-year institution to continue their education and attain their career goals.
The Certificate in Computer Information Systems/Computer Support is for those students who already have a degree, but would like to change careers or for those interested in updating their skills.
Related disciplines include Computer Support Services and Computer Web Development.
The AS degree in Computer Information Systems provides students with a broad-based programming and mathematics background in preparation for a career as a computer programmer or developer. Students who complete this degree program and programs to which they may transfer may find positions in a computer programming field.
The Certificate in Computer Information Systems/Computer Support provides students with the basic courses required for careers as entry-level programmers or help desk positions.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
5 Top Reasons
To Study Computer Information Systems/Computer Support at RCC:
- VALUE: Save as much as $100,000 by attending RCC before transferring to a four-year school.
- CAREER: Internships provide real-world experience.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time study can accommodate work, family, or other time commitments. On campus childcare available.
- CONVENIENCE: Courses are offered in classroom, online or hybrid format.
- SUPPORT: Small class sizes, more individual attention, free tutoring, financial aid, scholarships.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
There are more than 40 student clubs with special interests and socializing opportunities. Activities include sports, student government, and clubs like Robotics, Video Game & Animé, Chess, Computers, Art, Christian Fellowship, Environment, Haitian, Habitat for Humanity, Hillel, and Outlook, the award-winning student newspaper.
The program provides students with an interdisciplinary education that will prepare them to meet the technological challenges in today’s society in the area of computer programming. It focuses on practical applications of technology to support organizations while preparing students for transfer to a baccalaureate program.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to write computer programs using multiple programming languages
- Develop critical thinking, reasoning, and problem solving skills
- Prepare students in the Computer Information Systems AS degree for transfer to a computer science baccalaureate program