Liberal Arts and Science: Humanities and Social Science
Associate of Arts
Division Chair: Martha Rottman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Support Staff: Carol Coiro, email@example.com
Department Office: Technology Center, Room 8300, Phone: 845-574-4731
Why Study Liberal Arts and Science - Humanities and Social Science?
Liberal Arts and Science comprises the academic disciplines of language, composition and literature, art, philosophy, religious studies, education, communication, speech, performing arts and the social and behavioral sciences. Courses in liberal arts lay a foundation for more specialized and advanced areas in a baccalaureate program.
- Associate of Arts (AA): Liberal Arts and Science - Humanities and Social Science
Upon completing the program, students will be prepared for transfer to a four-year institution in order to further their education. Students may follow career paths in many areas, including law, psychology, education, social work and other fields.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Liberal Arts and Science - Humanities and Social Science at RCC:
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid, scholarships.
- CAREER: A wide range of internships to provide real-world experience.
- FLEXIBILITY: Balance part-time study with work, family or other time commitments. On-campus childcare available.
- SUPPORT: Small class sizes, more individual attention, free tutoring.
- TRANSFER: Agreements with many four-year colleges for seamless transfer to pursue multiple bachelor’s degree options.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
Our beautiful and convenient veteran-friendly campus offers a wealth of academic, social, and recreation opportunities. Participate in sports and fitness, mentoring and community service, or student publications and student government. Free services include academic tutoring, career counseling or transfer support for students pursuing a bachelor's degree. Get involved and explore more than 40 student clubs ranging from Sustainability to Video/Robotics, Habitat for Humanity, Christian Fellowship, Hillel, Chess, Cooking, Dance, Art and so much more. RCC's exciting calendar of special events includes heritage celebrations, guest speakers, cultural activities, concerts, performances, and exhibits.
The goal of the Liberal Arts courses is to develop in the student general intellectual capacities, judgement and understanding of human relationships in the social, cultural, and natural environment for the past, present and future. Courses focus on analysis, problem solving, critical thinking, writing, and communication.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication in both speech and writing
- Value the arts
- Demonstrate personal growth and self-awareness
- Demonstrate civic responsibility by contributing to society
- Apply the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Solve problems though critical thinking
- Demonstrate cultural awareness through the study of many disciplines
- Employ a foundational body of knowledge