Hospitality and Tourism
Associate in Applied Science
Division: Business, Social and Behavioral Science, and Professional/Public Service
Division Chair: Kristie Morris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Chair: Wendy Gordon, email@example.com
Department Support Staff: Jeremy Cordock, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Office: Academic I, Room 1220, Phone: 845-574-4298
Why Study Hospitality and Tourism?
Do you enjoy working with people, solving problems and providing quality customer service? The Hospitality and Tourism program offers preparation in the fields of culinary arts, restaurant management, hotel management and travel and tourism. We offer hands-on Culinary Arts courses on the main campus in our state-of-the-art kitchen lab, which features restaurant-quality equipment.
Related disciplines include Culinary Arts.
There are many exciting career opportunities available for those with skilled training in the field of hospitality and tourism. Graduates of this program are prepared for positions in restaurants, fast food establishments, catering facilities, institutional food service companies, hotels, cruise lines, gaming establishments and other related areas. Students who plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree at a 4-year institution will need to take additional general education courses before attaining full junior status.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Hospitality and Tourism at RCC:
- TRANSFER: Graduates have transferred to the Culinary Institute of America, the French Culinary Institute, the Art Institute of New York, Cornell University, Johnson and Wales, NYU, and Fairleigh Dickinson, and others.
- CAREER: Internships and practicums provide real world experience.
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid, scholarships.
- OPPORTUNITIES: Study Abroad.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time and online study accommodates work, family, or other time commitments. On-campus childcare available.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
Culinary courses offer hands-on experience featuring restaurant-quality equipment in RCC’s state-of-the-art kitchen lab. More than 40 student clubs including a Hospitality Club enrich RCC’s campus life. Activities offer many opportunities for socializing, learning and networking. Hospitality Club members participate in community service activities and creative catering for special campus events. RCC’s Career Services programs help students with résumé writing, interviewing skills, and job and career strategies.
The degree provides students with a broad base of core course work to provide the knowledge needed for a career in the hospitality and tourism industry. Students will take several required courses in hospitality but will then have the option to focus their education on either hospitality or travel and tourism.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts that characterize the hospitality industry
- Demonstrate a variety of hands-on skills needed in the industry
- Develop and demonstrate the skills needed to plan and implement various types of hospitality and/or travel and tourism functions
- Develop the research skills used in hospitality and/or travel and tourism
- Develop an understanding of management concepts and how they integrate with hospitality and/or travel and tourism
- Develop variety of skills related to problem solving