Division: STEM and Health Professions
Division Chair: Kathleen Hopkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Chair: Jeanette Geller, email@example.com
Department Support Staff: Jeremy Cordock, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Office: Technology Center, Room 8307, Phone: 845-574-4731
Why Study Computer-Assisted Design?
The Computer-Assisted Design Certificate is for students who want to acquire the necessary skills needed to obtain entry-level employment in a variety of drafting fields. Graduates with drawing and design skills can continue their education at two or four-year institutions or enter the workforce as drafters for architects, engineers and designers.
Related disciplines include Engineering Science.
The certificate is for students with or without previous educational experience. Upon completion of the certificate, students will be prepared for entry-level employment as a CAD operator or a design technician in specialized fields of Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
5 Top Reasons
To Study Computer-Assisted Design at RCC:
- VALUE: Affordable tuition for a high-quality education.
- CAREER: Internships provide real-world experience.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time study can accommodate work, family, or other time commitments. On campus childcare available.
- CONVENIENCE: Courses are offered in classroom, online or hybrid format.
- SUPPORT: Small class sizes, more individual attention, free tutoring, financial aid, scholarships.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
There are more than 40 student clubs with special interests and socializing opportunities. Activities include sports, student government, and clubs like Robotics, Video Game & Animé, Chess, Computers, Art, Christian Fellowship, Environment, Haitian, Habitat for Humanity, Hillel, and Outlook, the award-winning student newspaper.
The certificate provides students with the skills needed to create, edit and produce basic design drawings using SketchUp, SolidWorks and AutoCAD programs. Students learn how to solve design challenges and express their ideas in drawing form.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Create and edit accurate 2D and 3D architectural and mechanical drawings using computer-aided drafting software
- Understand the symbols, tools, and terminology of the drafting field
- Create professional drawings that can be used for the construction and production of architectural and engineering projects
- Understand the principles of design and problem solving